We moved into our current home in June 2016, with a 23-month-old and a 6-week-old in tow, on a miserable, rainy day. The money nearly didn’t transfer on time, then the estate agent had lost the key, a locksmith was called out – and all this after months of hell due to an issue on Phil’s credit report that shouldn’t have been there. To say that we’re reluctant to move again is an understatement!

We adore our chocolate box cottage. It was built around 180 years ago and has the most gorgeous views – especially at sunrise and sunset. We have an office and a playroom as well as the lounge, kitchen diner, 2 toilets and 3 bedrooms. We could really stay here indefinitely, so why has this question arisen? It all comes down to the third bedroom being tiny, and I mean you can’t get a single bed in there tiny. Martha’s cot bed fits in with zero wiggle room, so for as long as she can stay on that it’s all good; then it’ll be down to Phil’s design and DIY expertise to make her a bed! Even then, as she grows up there won’t be any decent wardrobe space, or a desk, and certainly no room for sleepovers with friends.

13423824_613178735506759_6447762951254243109_nIMG-6150 IMG-1158 IMG-0503 IMG-3274

When we bought this house we said we’d probably go up into the loft, but it’s become clear that doing so would be one heck of a job because the supporting structure comes down into the centre of the loft. Another option is to build a double height extension at the back of the house, which is currently a ‘U’ shape. I adore the idea of an orangery-esque entertaining area with floor-to-ceiling glass overlooking the garden. Above it would be a new bedroom, with Martha’s current room probably being used as either an en suite or a walk-in wardrobe sort of area.

That sort of work doesn’t come cheap, so if we do decide in the future that the extra space is necessary, then we may want to move house. It’d take something really special to pull us away from our cottage, but you never know! After our experiences last time though, we will make it as painless as possible; we’d go through our finances very carefully, not have a newborn baby and a toddler, use a company like Shiply to help move everything, and make sure the estate agent definitely knew where the key was on moving day…


Have you had to make the decision between moving or extending? What did you do? Let me know in the comments below, or get in touch on Facebook or Twitter.

** This is a sponsored post in collaboration with Shiply. All words and opinions are honest, and my own **